Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Are you living with passion for your life's work, or are you just going through the motions?

At the beginning of May I was fortunate enough to be able to take some time and travel to Chicago to attend the American Chiropractic Board of Sports Physician's annual symposium. I have been very proud to be a member of this group of of chiropractic sports doctors for the past 5 years. It is always difficult to find time in a busy schedule to travel across the country and attend conferences such as this one, but I am so glad that I took the time to do so for this one!

I came home from this symposium feeling inspired and motivated to make a difference in my profession! Throughout the weekend I had the opportunity to learn from some of the best and brightest minds in the field of chiropractic sports medicine. What I loved was that not only were these doctors amazingly talented and at the forefront of the profession, but they were remarkably down to earth and approachable. They were eager to share the knowledge that they had acquired over their years of experience for the betterment of their profession.

At the awards luncheon Dr. Dale Buchberger delivered the keynote speach. He spoke about perseverence. He cited examples of notable people in history, such as Abraham Lincoln, who had failed over and over and over again, but through their perseverence they eventually triumphed and were able to change our world for the better. I wish that I had a copy of his speach so that on those days when it seems hard to keep at it I can look back to his words and gain the strength to persevere.

Dr. Spencer Baron was awarded the ACBSP's award for Sports Chiropractor of the Year. I can't think of a better person to be given this honor. Dr. Baron has been incredibly inspiring to me and to many others in this profession. He is always willing to help out another doctor, be they new or old, and he seems to give selflessly of himself at every opportunity.

Dr. Bill Moreau was awarded the ACBSP's Lifetime Achievement Award, despite the fact that he is only halfway through his career! This is a much deserved honor for him. Dr. Moreau is one of my mentors and I feel incredibly blessed to have the opportunity to know him and work with him. He has done so much to further the profession of chiropractic sports medicine. One of the things that I admire most about Dr. Moreau is that he makes anyone who speaks to him feel that they too can accomplish great things.

As I said before, I came home from this symposium feeling inspired and motivated to make a difference in my profession. A great person once told me that rather than saying "each one teach one" we should instead think of the phrase "each one reach one". By following this guideline hopefully I can inspire others in my profession to reach their full potential and to do great things, just as the doctors that reached me have inspired and motivated me and passed the excitement and passion they feel for this profession on to me.

I guess that what I learned most of all from this weekend in Chicago is that we all need to find passion and excitement in what we do. This kind of passion for your profession generates an electricity of its own and can spark the same passion in those around you. We must strive to be the bright shining stars in our lives and help to light the fire in those around us. Without this... we're just going through the motions.

No comments:

Post a Comment